Reunión: The procedure
- Walking aimlessly through cities, towns and rural communities of Latin America, I run into some people.
- I invite them to write a few poems.
- We spend some time together, we decide when to start writing.
- They speak to me and I write down by hand everything they say:
Nothing is recorded
No questions are made.
- The next day, the poems are printed in chapbooks.
- The writer reads them out loud to his neighbors in a reunion at the place where he lives.
- He gives away his books to them. The other books of Reunión are also read.
The second part of the project consist in an extension of the first acts in other places:
- The writers get spokespersons
- The spokespersons read the poems out loud in new reunions in other towns and villages.
At the beginning, in an encounter, spoken word becomes written word. At the end, poems make possible an encounter where the written word becomes oral. Poems are at last between two persons instead of two pages.
REUNIÓN is composed of various acts that involve conversation, reading and writing: daily actions –though at the same time out of the ordinary- that always involve being face to face. Dani Zelko writes down poems that others dictate to him. They dictate to him as the conversation develops and then finally ceases. After fulfilling his task as a listener and copyist, he edits the books the following day and prints them with his backpack-printer. The books are presented to neighbors, family and friends of the writer in a circle of nine people. The writer reads his poems out loud, he listens to himself and the others hear him for the first time.
The second part of the project consists of an extension of the first acts in other places. Writers' poems are read out loud by spokespersons, emissaries and people who lend their body, eyes and voice to read in a round of nine chairs the poems of people who are absent. A chain of actions, subjects dictating and reading, a scribe and a listener, spokesmen and listeners, books and poems. Actions and procedures for being with others.
(text by Amanda de la Garza)
Books in English to download:
/ Reunión: North Border /
/ Reunión: Season 1 /